In this course you will learn how to:
- Identify and differentiate between difficult and challenging behaviours
- Increase your self-awareness around your own responses to challenging behaviours
- Understanding the link with emotional intelligence (EI) and conflict management
- Identify and assess changing levels of risk
- Build skills around proactive and positive communication strategies
- Use de-escalation strategies
- Assess and manage risks through planning, personal safety strategies and identifying environmental hazards in the workplace.
Your experienced facilitators will help you to develop your new capabilities and professional confidence through a mix of interactive presentations, practical strategies, scenario-based group activities and more. Your training will be brought to life by opportunities for discussion and group analysis of various experiences. You’ll also be given the opportunity to practise your newly acquired skills to help build your confidence and embed your learning.
How can you put your new skills to good use?
The focus of this program is to develop skills to respond rather than react. Many participants find the troubleshooting tips, useful phrases and practical strategies particularly helpful in building their confidence and capacity to de-escalate heightened situations
Some workplace roles involve managing potential or actual volatile situations on a regular basis and the staff involved are well prepared to manage these scenarios. In other instances, when behaviours from colleagues, stakeholders, the public or clients extends past difficult and into ‘challenging’ conduct, it can be completely unexpected and distressing to employees who are suddenly called upon to deal with elevated emotions, threats and even the risk of potential physical harm from others.
Trying to manage these types of behaviours in the workplace simply through trial and error can have disastrous and costly consequences for individuals and organisations. A positive response to these situations is contingent upon the development of sophisticated skill sets and thats why proactive training for staff is crucial.
This program is designed to help you to develop the practical skills to improve your responses in the type of situations that can quickly become challenging. It is ideally suited to those performing compliance or inspectorate roles and people who deal with clients or members of the public who are potentially volatile, e.g. security officers responsible for crowd control.